Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Driving directions which account for time lost due to traffic signals ?

Driving directions have come quite far. Google includes time taken during rush hour (probably using historical information). However is there some way to include the time taken at traffic signals?



1. The shortest route may include multiple traffic signals, so may not be helpful. People who are aware of the traffic and local conditions will be aware of that and won't take the shortest route.



2. A best and a worst estimate for driving time with and without traffic lights would be helpful.



3. If not time information, it would be helpful to have information like 5 lights with left turns (which might be sloweer) and 6 turns with right turns (which might be quicker). That sort of information would be helpful.



4. Last year there was a news article about UPS trying to improve gas mileage and time by avoiding all left turns. So, someone has worked on such a problem.



Any suggestions. I don't need a already built solution. I am looking for more information on companies working on such solutions and how soon can we get such information for general usage.



Thanks.Driving directions which account for time lost due to traffic signals ?
You start with plenty of preplanning by knowing the routes you are taking, weather, time of day, etc. I never rely on the estimated times that Mapquest, Google, etc. give out, since I drive a truck with a max speed set at 65mph %26amp; you never know what lies ahead out on the road.



Something I do to take into account traffic lights, etc is figure how many miles it is from Point A to Point B %26amp; use average speed of 60mph, then I add more time for any form of slow down that may arise. For example, if I have 100mi to go, I will figure 2hrs drive time minimum, more if I am in more congested areas, bad weather, etc.



UPS is using mapping software with GPS to minimize their left turns. My company has invested in a satellite communications system called Drivertech, with build in turn by turn GPS navigation to minimize our fuel usage, due to bad directions. Hope I helped


No comments:

Post a Comment