Friday, January 27, 2012

Driving from Phoenix area to Las Vegas?

I'm driving from the north valley (North Glendale to be exact) to Vegas and I was wondering if anyone knows the best/safest route to take. I google-mapped the directions and there seem to be a few different options. I've heard that the route through the Hoover Dam can be busy and that the one through Laughlin is better (not sure which exactly that is though). I'm leaving on a Friday afternoon if that makes any difference. I've also heard that the highway you take is ridiculously dangerous at night. If I am leaving around 3 pm, will I be fine for the most part? Thanks!Driving from Phoenix area to Las Vegas?
You should be fine as far as construction over the dam not causing huge delays at the time you'll be crossing it. At that time it should not be delayed because of construction, just slow because of lots of people trying to get through it. It's probably a better route at that time than through Laughlin, which will be busy with weekend arrivals as well and takes you several miles out of your way. (When construction delays are present over the dam, Laughlin is a good alternative - when it's just traffic delays, over the dam is typically easier.)



But you will be dealing with all of the weekend warriors that head up there from Phoenix. Traffic will be heavy the entire route.



With all of the widening projects that have occurred and are continuing to take place along the corridor from Wickenburg up to I-17, the route is a whole lot safer than it used to be.



Just be patient with all of the traffic. You should be fine.Driving from Phoenix area to Las Vegas?
Hoover Dam has heavy visitor attendance only at certain times. You can look that up on a government website or something. When I drove that way it was a two lane highway and no traffic. At night it is probably a breeze but you cannot drive that fast. It is only a 6-hour drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment